On Wednesday 11th May 2016, Stanton-on-the-Wolds Golf Club hosted an 18 hole shotgun start Stableford Competition in aid of Spinal Research, the UK’s leading charity funding medical research around the world to develop reliable treatments for paralysis caused by spinal cord injury.
Every year, 1,000 people in the UK and Ireland are paralysed following an injury to their spinal cord. Spinal Research raises money to fund research into clinical treatments as well as vital basic science research - all of which relies on dynamic fund-raising and the help of tireless supporters.
Two Stanton Members, Kay Wakefield and Cathy Burnside, were instrumental in organising the day, and together with tremendous support from all the Stanton Staff ensured the events went like clockwork - even a spot of light drizzle during part of the day couldn't dampen their infectious enthusiasm.
With the condition of the course getting close to its best, the Catering Team being on their usual top form, and the competitors enjoying themselves immensely, almost £5000 was raised on the day for the Charity - a truly magnificent effort. Many, many thanks to all who contributed so generously.
- 1st - Loughborough Rd Dental Practice - Capt Jeff Cushnie (Radcliffe-on-Trent GC)
- 2nd - Swing it to Wing it - Capt Paul Clarkson (Ruddington Grange)
- 3rd - The Tinglers - Capt Ricky Dunn (Hollinwell)
- 4th - Mickleover Old Boys - Capt Mick Riley (Mickleover)
- Longest Drive Men - Tom Dickens (Radcliffe)
- Longest Drive Ladies - Fran Tunnicliffe (Stanton)
- Nearest the Pin 5th and 15th - Abbie Chambers (The Nottinghamshire)
More information about Spinal Research can be found by visiting their website
Clips from YouTube videos were shown as a prelude to the prize presentation:-
- Dr Susan Harkema talking about electrical stimulation (full version)
- Prof Liz Bradbury talking about Spinal Research
Below are a few captured moments of the day's highlights, courtesy of Kay and Cathy.
To encourage your browsing, look out especially for a perfect example of male sartorial elegance - a salmon pink tank top, no less - exquisitely modelled by a Past President of the Notts Golf Union!