The 2019 Stanton Ladies Open took place on the 6th August on a day which dawned bright and sunny. On arrival at the course it looked fabulous, everything was calm and serene. The flower displays in the Clubhouse created by Fran Tunnicliffe were spectacular. Shortly after 8.00am the first players arrived bright and early, ready for the first tee off at 9.00am, plenty of time for a quick bacon butty supplied by Tracey's eager Restaurant Staff.
The course was in fabulous condition : beautiful fairways, lush rough and perfect greens - the recipe for a great game of golf and another triumph for the Stanton GreenStaff. There were 104 competitors from 25 other Clubs, many who had travelled quite a distance, and many who had come to Stanton for the first time.
The 6th hole hosted the longest drive competition, which was won by Lauren Spray (Notts Ladies). Her drive was truly awesome and perfectly straight. The nearest-the-pin competition took place on the 10th and that was won by Jane Hebblethwaite (Rothley Park) with a lovely shot that finished 8 feet from the pin.
At the new Halfway House there was a fabulous selection of home-made cakes and drinks available for consumption. Thank you to all the Ladies who baked the cakes, and a big thank you to all the Ladies who helped in the Halfway House to keep it running smoothly.
Considering all that was on offer at the Halfway House, the place of play was most acceptable, with some excellent scores being returned. The live Leaderboard display both in the Clubhouse and on the Club's website, kept all the competitors well informed, and it was only when the last scores were entered that the identities of the overall winners became clear.
The Team winners were as follows:-
- Jane Saggers (Burghley Park), Sue Churchill (Burghley Park), Wendy Hillson (Burghley Park), Anne Fensom (Burghley Park) - 88 points
- Louise Spray (Stanton-on-the-Wolds), Judy Burgin (Stanton-on-the-Wolds), Lauren Spray (Notts Ladies ), Sharon Clarke (Wollaton) - 85 points (on countback)
- Helana Bottomley (Stanton on the Wolds), Zoe Scott (Stanton-on-the-Wolds), Sarah Donegan (Serlby Park), V. Whitehead ( Ruddington Grange ) - 85 points
- Anita Walmsley (Walmley), Sally Pyke (Walmley), D. Reynolds (Walmley), Amanda Poxon ( Little Aston) - 84 points (on countback)
- Libby Carter (Rothley Park), Hellen Morrell (Rothley Park), Jane Hebblethwaite (Rothley Park), Lindsay Jelley (Rothley Park) - 84 points
Full results can be viewed on the website.
There was no prize presentation, so for those competitors who didn't collect them on the day, vouchers will be sent out in the post to the Team Leaders for onward distribution to the rest of their Teams.
Along with fabulous golf and delicious home-made cakes, we also ran a raffle for the Captains' Charity, and this raised £229. Thank you to all the lovely Ladies who helped to make the raffle a success, and also to the people who donated the raffle prizes.
Many congratulations to all the prize winners. We hope those participating had a thoroughly enjoyable day and look forward to seeing you all again next year.
There is little doubt that the Ladies' Open was a huge success, with many positive comments received from the competitors, so we should be extremely proud of our achievement.
Here’s to 2020!
Lady Captain 2019