Gents' InterClub Foursomes Knockout


The Stanton InterClub Men's foursomes Team started their 2017 campaign against Worksop at Newark on Monday 12th June 2017 and comprised:-

  • Charles Banks and Neil Collings
  • Jon Kisby and Digby Kite
  • with reserve Dan Limon

Out first, Charles and Neil played were pitted against a long-hitting combination playing off +1 and a +2 handicap, and after going three down won four holes on the trot to go one up. Receiving four shots they used them to good advantage, and although losing the difficult 16th, the match finished all square.

In spite of being often out-driven by their very youthful opposition, Stanton's experienced veterans fought hard to gain a splendid result. The match was played in an excellent spirit against two young bloods whose conduct was a real credit to their club.

John and Digby, playing against a scratch and 2 handicap pairing, received three shots, and used them well to win their match three up.

Overall result:

Stanton won three up, with some very good golf being played by all the participants.

The team appreciated the support which clearly was instrumental in tipping the balance in Stanton's favour. Special thanks are due to reserve, Dan, for turning up on the night.

Albert Oldham

Non-playing Captain


The Stanton InterClub Men's foursomes Team team for the third round match on 3rd July 2017 against Chilwell Manor at Wollaton Park GC was::-

  • Dan Limon and Neil Collings
  • Digby Kite and Jon Kisby

Dan played in place of Charles Banks who had to withdraw due to injury.

Totally unfazed by the loss of the Stanton legend, Dan and Neil won their match two up, with Neil having to hole a fifteen foot putt to halve the last hole, which in the end ensured overall victory.

The match seemed to be going our way, being combined seven up with eight holes to play. However, with Jon and Digby three up with four to play, the very strong Chilwell pairing fought back strongly and won the last four holes to finish one up. Thankfully it was not quite enough, and Stanton were through to the semi-final.

Overall result:-

Stanton beat Chilwell Manor by one hole.

The Wollaton course was in excellent condition and the weather good. We would like to thank the support given to our Team which I am sure contributed to our win.

Albert Oldham

Non-playing Captain


The Stanton Team for the semi-final on Monday July 31st vs Norwood Park at Ramsdale Park GC was:-

  • Charles Banks Neil Collings
  • Jon Kisby & Digby Kite
  • with reserve Dan Limon

The match, which started and finished in the rain, was another keenly fought encounter - much enjoyed by all who took part - both players and supporters.

The first pairing of Charles and Neil, struggling a little around the greens, lost 2 down in a match in which we should have come out on top, although credit must be given to Norwood for fighting back with eagles and birdies on par fives, and a couple of chip-ins thrown in for good measure.

The second pairing of Jon and Digby were 4 up at one stage, but did well in the end to gain a 2 up victory.

Match:- All Square

Following the Notts Union of Golf Clubs Rules covering such eventualities to the letter, the three hole play-off then took place.

Charles and Neil unluckily lost to a chip-in from behind the green on the third play-off hole, but Jon and Digby won the second play-off hole to finish 1 up, with Digby holing a good putt on the final hole to maintain their lead.

Match result:-

All Square

We now have to replay the match away at Norwood as Captain John lost the toss for the venue!!! - date and times to be advised.

Once again we would like to thank all the supporters who turned out on a golf course which proved quite challenging to walk round, a fact to which our President will readily testify!

 Semi-Final play-off  

As per a decision of the County Executive last year, we were subsequently informed by (County Secretary) Colin Bee  that the semi-final would be played at a neutral venue (so Captain John was let off the hook, which makes a change from his normal slice!)

This was was duly changed to COXMOOR GC on THURSDAY 24th AUGUST - a choice of venue which the opposition, Norwood Park, fully supported on the grounds of fairness.

So here we go again - representing Stanton were:-

  • Charlie Banks & Neil Collings
  • Digby Kite & Jon Kisby
  • with Dan Limon as the faithful reserve.

Charles and Neil, first off and receiving two shots, were in control of their match from the outset, and went four up with three to play, but Norwood fought back, winning holes 16 and 17. On the 18th Norwood drove into trouble on the left, which resulted in having to play three off the tee. Charles hit a fine tee shot up the middle and the pair won the 18th to finish three up. Both of them played very well and fully deserved their victory.

On to match number 2, with Digby and Jon were receiving one shot. It was nip-and-tuck all the way with never more than one hole between them. The match was all square playing the 18th. Norwood, who had just won the 17th to square the match, drove into trouble on the right. Digby then hit a tremendous drive - long and straight - and with Norwood eventually holing out in seven, Stanton had two puts to win. The hole was conceded and Digby and Jon won one up.

Overall match result:-

Stanton beat Norwood four up.

There was some superb golf played by both sides in excellent weather conditions. Neil's driving and Jon's short game were a delight to behold, laying the foundation for excellent victories.

The Team and I wish to thank all supporters for their encouragement on the night, and we now look forward to the 36 HOLE FINAL at WORKSOP on 17th September against SERLBY PARK, who will be looking for revenge as we knocked them out of the Mixed Foursomes at the Quarter Final stage. 
Match 1 starts at 8.20am and 12.50pm.
Match 2 starts at 8.30am and 13.00pm.

And finally.... well played Team!!!

Albert Oldham

Non-playing Captain


The Final vs Serlby Park was played at Worksop GC over 36 holes on Sunday 17th September 2017 in mixed weather conditions.

Our team :-

  • Charles Banks & Neil Collings (giving one shot)
  • Digby Kite and Jon Kisby (receiving one shot)
  • with reserve Dan Limon.

In the first match over the first eighteen holes, Serlby Park were always in control and finished 3 up.
Match two was much closer with Digby and Jon finishing 1 down .

1st 18 holes result:-

Serlby 4 up.

The fight back began in the second round with Charles and Neil being one up after twenty-seven holes.
Alas they should have gone 2 up after twenty-eight holes, but four-putted and lost the hole - back to all square.

This renewed Serlby's confidence and they moved to 3 up after the next few holes. Although Charles and Neil pulled one back their match finished with Serlby 2 up with two to play. Digby and Jon fought hard in the second match, but Serlby were never behind and only needed a half on the thirty-fourth hole to be 3 up with two to play.

With the Match done and dusted, the remaining holes were not played.

Overall match result:-


Serlby are to be congratulated wholeheartedly on their victory, being superior to us on the the greens. The course was in excellent condition, but playing very long.

Finally I would like to congratulate all our players on reaching the InterClub K/O Final and representing our Club in a first class way. They played some excellent golf against some very good teams.

Many thanks to all the supporters for their encouragement during the season.

Hoping for better luck next year .

Albert Oldham

Non-playing Captain