EPIC ONE-DAY GOLF CHALLENGE -
FUND RAISING FOR CANCER RESEARCH UK
by Roy Pickavance (alias ROYMUNDO - H/cap17) and
Chris Bingham (alias BINGO - H/cap19)
On WED 29th MARCH 2017 Chris Bingham and I undertook our golf challenge in aid of CRUK at Stanton-on-the-Wolds Golf Club.
- To achieve the Best Better Ball Eclectic Gross Score that we can : target 71;
- To complete as many holes as possible in daylight hours starting from 8:00am : target 90.
- To raise lots of money for CRUK, target £5,000.
How did we do?
- Best Better Ball Eclectic Gross Score, target 71 – we achieved a Gross 72, just 1 off our target but not bad for handicaps of 17 and 19
- No of holes completed, target 90 – not sure but we started by doing 18 holes in 2.5 hrs and spent 10 hours on the course – too worn out (both aged over 70) to count for certain but I guess around 85.
- Raise lots of money for CRUK, target £5,000 – currently £1,879.00 + £349.75 Gift Aid. So a long way short of our target but hopefully more will come in
Everyone at the Club was supportive. We had Graham & Andrew as our buggy drivers encouraging us on and constantly advising us on subtle changes to our swings and club choices and putting lines (all to no avail); Stan, Chris and Mike for the lead buggie to advise those on the course to allow us through. All Members and Guests on the course were very obliging and donated as we went around.
We had non-alcoholic beer and cider on board and one bottle of very good wine. You will not be surprised to know that the wine received the most compliments.
Thanks to Paul, Gwynnie and Captain John for facilitating the event at SWGC, Nick, the professional, and Lee and Mark for providing and recharging the buggies, for Dan and team for the course condition, Andy and team for the food starting with a magnificent breakfast and Mary and team for looking after us in the bar afterwards.
Finally and most importantly can we give heartfelt thanks for those that have donated so far and for those that will donate to CRUK.
I know it sounds like a winners speech, but with funds going to CRUK, all of us and our descendants will be the winners.
Think how important it is to donate to CRUK, not for our ego trip on a golf challenge as that just gives you a push to donate, but because the investment in Cancer Research does save lives and the more that is invested in research the better the medics will become at that.
Please find time to consider supporting our golf challenge in aid of CRUK
Chris and Roy
And finally, to summarise ...
In January 2017, with the help of many including Club Members, I raised £1,736 + £336 Gift Aid for a Dryathlon
In March 2017 (and beyond) for the Golf Challenge Chris Bingham and I, again with the help of many including Club Members, raised £3,051.83 + £538.00 Gift Aid
In total that is over £5,500 raised for CRUK
A big thank you to all of those that helped and contributed.